Monday, June 2, 2008

Food, Death, and the South

I love the South. I love being a Southerner (by the grace of God). It's warm and lush and sometimes a little beat-up and impoverished, but the people are good, and there is community, and there is sometimes even a little leisure. And I am from Georgia.

So, we had a death in the family recently, and I was overwhelmed and shocked by the immediate, enormous support we received from our community. Not only did we receive buckets of cards, but not once did anyone have to cook, make a call, run an errand, do a chore, nothing. We were completely cared for and loved. We got fried chicken and peach pie and pound cake and pork roast and pot roast and pimento cheese and rolls and hashbrown casserole and dressing and gravy and butterbeans and green beans and yams and sweet tea and cole slaw and cookies and you name it. We had people stopping in to check on us, sending neighbors to do the same, calling kin, singing songs, praying, adding us to prayer chains, offering to help - the phone rang 'round the clock. The grass was even cut (and we're talking about several acres worth of bush-hogging here) while the family was making arrangements at the funeral home one day. It was incredible.

So, I'm proud to come from the Christ-haunted South, where the flies bite and the dirt's red and the lakes are all dusty. And I'll write my piece on food some other time.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At June 3, 2008 at 7:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. People trash-talk the south a lot, but even when the people seem a little crazy, they're almost always good people deep down.

 
At June 7, 2008 at 8:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, we are so overdue for a conversation. I'm thinking of you and hope to talk asap!

xo,
Lo

 
At June 28, 2008 at 8:15 AM , Blogger FreeBird Farm said...

Wow. What a great description, and I couldn't agree more! I could have written this exact post about my past week.

I need to catch up with you... sounds like we both had a loss this month.

 
At August 8, 2008 at 3:18 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Unfortunately, I don't have any stereotypes, good or bad- MD is somehow disavowed by both the North and the South.
But, I wish I was from the south, so I could grow up to be a sassy old southern lady. In one day, I'd birth some calfs (calves??) and bake a peach pie and sing at church and tell my granddaughter what I thought about that good-for-nothing boy she's been seeing from two towns over, and then I'd order the vegetable plate from Cracker Barrel for dinner.
Mid-Atlantians don't do any of those fun things.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home