Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Yup, Comcast

So, my cable stopped working last Thursday. This isn't a big deal for me, as I'm not much of a tv watcher, and I was sort of convinced that maybe I just don't know how to use the remote or something, but nope - it was really goofed up. I called Comcast several times and after trailing through a series of option menus that say things like "Press 1 if you are an existing customer" and "Press 3 if you are having trouble with your cable television," received an error message that said "We cannot complete your call at this time. Please call back."

Eh?

So, I did. I called back - several times. And last night, I had success, and had a charming conversation with a young woman in TX. Apparently, lots of cable users in my area are having trouble - something about thunderstorms, tornadoes, global warming, I don't know.

So she reset my signal, whatever that means, and voila! Le cable.

This was going to be a post about how annoying the whole debacle was, but instead, I'm going to make it about how awesome my customer service rep was. She was friendly, initiated small talk when we waited for my box to reboot, and gave me $17 off my next bill for my trouble. I like it.

Maybe it's a trend, and all client service is improving. Let's hope.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At June 11, 2008 at 5:19 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I love good customer service! And working cable!

I love you, too. :)

 
At June 13, 2008 at 6:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to contact Comcast a coupl'a times around our move (to transfer service, drop a few cable options, add the internet, then a tech support thing after the internet was up and running), and they were delightful each time. Especially after the nightmare that is Earthlink's customer service, it was incredibly refreshing.

It's amazing to me that more companies don't realize what a huge selling point it is to have nice people who are actually in your country helping when you call. (I don't care about call center jobs going overseas in terms of economical ramifications, as I suspect there aren't many, but I do care when my call gets disconnected multiple times and it sounds like I'm talking to someone over AM radio because we're on opposite sides of the planet.)

 
At June 15, 2008 at 6:01 PM , Blogger Kelly Byrom said...

i love cable. i mean i really love it. i get happy when i know other people have it.

i love good customer service. i will switch companies in a heartbeat if i find good cs.

we miss you. im glad you blog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home