Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Duchess, 2008 - movie

I went to see The Duchess on Sunday.

***Spoiler of sorts alert***

I should have done a little more homework. I knew it got mixed reviews, but I like Keira Knightley, even if everyone else does hate her, and I also like pretty costumes, so I thought I would like it.

Pretty costumes - check
Period piece - check
Love story - check
Lovely scenery - check
Rape scene (!?) - check(!?)
Left me feeling lonely, bereft, and gross - check

The characters were flat; the directing was boring; the story was sad. I don't regret going. I just regret that someone made this movie. It could have said something. There was potential in this story. It failed.

Lowest common denominator effect, I think. Like a period Crash.

In other news, all is well. More on that later.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At October 15, 2008 at 5:27 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I hate movies that make me feel bad just to make me feel bad. Ew.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home